Media and Deisgn
The CTS program is designed to develop skills that senior high school students can apply in their daily lives when preparing for entry into the workplace or for further learning opportunities. Through the CTS program, students are provided with opportunities to personalize their learning, identify and explore their interests, manage transitions and build partnerships while developing basic competencies, that is, the attitudes and behaviours that people need to participate and progress in today’s dynamic world of work.
CTS courses enable students to make reasoned and effective career decisions and target efforts to meet their goals. Students will have opportunities to expand their knowledge about careers, occupations and job opportunities, as well as the education and/or training requirements involved. Competencies achieved by mastering CTS course outcomes will allow students to make relevant connections with work and/or post-secondary training.
Benefits for Students
- relevant and engaged learning
- freedom in exploring multiple pathways
- personally meaningful pathways leading to specialized skills
- engagement in their interests or passions
- opportunities to achieve post-secondary credentials while still in senior high school
- easier transitions from senior high school to post-secondary education or the work force.
Business, Administration, Finance & Information Technology (BIT)
The BIT cluster focuses on the management, marketing and use of electronic technologies to access, use and manipulate information within personal, family, workplace, community and global contexts. This cluster challenges students to expand their confidence, experience and skills as innovators and leaders.
Health, Recreation & Human Services (HRH)
The HRH cluster focuses on a vast array of challenging and rewarding careers in health care, community supports, recreation, cosmetology, food services, tourism and law.
Media, Design & Communication Arts (MDC)
The MDC cluster is designed to provide students the flexibility to adapt to various situations relating to design, communication and esthetics. This cluster includes courses related to art and culture, such as the performing arts, film and video, broadcasting, journalism, writing, creative design, fashion, libraries and museums.
NOTE: A CTS Media & Design Certificate is presented to students who have the following:
- 25 credits in Media & Design CTS subjects which must include 10 credits in Grade12 Media & Design CTS subjects.
- A Media & Design Certificate with Distinction is presented to students with an 80% or better overall average.
- CTS Media & Design Courses include:
- Financial Studies
- Legal Studies
- Tourism Studies
- Design Studies
- Communication Technology
- Web Design