Can you imagine the fun you can have when everyone gets excited and involved in school activities? That is the job of the Student Leadership class! Leadership runs all student council sponsored activities such as the Winter Formal, The Pep Rally, Week of Wicked, Thurber's Got Talent and X-Games! Hardly a week goes by when Leadership is not working hard, imagining, planning and carrying out awesome activities that you can participate in and have a blast doing!
The Leadership program is facilitated by Mrs. Barker and Mrs. Purcell Mondays afterschool. Any student can join the class and learn valuable leadership skills such as communication, public speaking, planning, organization and social skills at the beginning of the year.
We have close to 100 students in our program! It's a great place to be!
WHAT DOES AN IDEAL LEADERSHIP STUDENT LOOK LIKE?
- They are determined—the most important factor in predicting success!
- They have a curiosity that compels them to research possibilities (anything and everything), yet the discipline to do so with focus.
- They have ambition, tempered by modesty.
- They are open to working with all types of students.
- They’re can-do. They like to take initiative and have the commitment to follow through.
- They are competitive––yet realize that collaboration leads to the most creative solutions.
- They are afraid to fail, but more afraid not to. Those who allow themselvesto fail also have the courage to take chances.
- They understand that they grow through laughter––with others and at themselves.
- They are bright and quick.
- They’re indefatigable. Life as a leadership student is both physically and emotionally strenuous.
Upcoming Leadership Events
Click Here to view Upcoming Leadership Events
Organize and implement Leadership Activities (yes)!
Promote the Leadership Team (obviously)!
Promote school spirit (yay)!
Work collaboratively with community partners (bring it on)!
What does a student learn from Leadership?
Qualities of an effective leader
Effective interpersonal skills
Effective communication skills
Decision making and conflict resolution skills
Teamwork and cooperation
Effective public relations
How to positively impact the school community
Student Leadership Executive 2018-2019
President – Alex Macleod
Executive Assistant – Claire Stang
VP Internal – Zoie Kachor
VP Community – Kaden Nivens
VP Thurber Life – Julia Cadorette
Tech Team Member – Max Chernoff
Internal Team – Ainsley Lirondelle, Julianna Cotacio
Thurber Life Team Members – Catie Harman, Avery Grainger
Community Team Leaders – Yoab Anbesa, Zareen Nishat
Ralph Waldo Emerson"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exaltation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived-this is to have succeeded!"